Quinoa – the ‘mother seed’
Quinoa: the facts
Quinoa – pronounced ‘keen-wah’
From a species of Chenopodium or goosefoot plants
Dates back over 5,000 years in the Andes
Known by the Incas as ‘the mother of all grains’ or the ‘mother seed’.
Saponin: Natural Protection
Prevents insect and bird predation.
Must be removed.
Controversial proposal for development of a saponin-free strain of quinoa!
How to wash Quinoa…
1. Place quinoa in a fine colander or strainer
2. Run cold water over quinoa until soap scum has washed away
3. Rub the seeds while washing
4. Test the flavour – still acidic – run more cold water!
5. Wash and stir 3 or 4 times in water, or wash until water
6. Never soak Quinoa before washing!