GID221E FOOD CHEMISTRY I – 2ND MIDTERM EXAM
2004-2005 FALL SEMESTER
PROF.DR. DILEK BOYACIOĞLU
Answer all questions listed from 1 to 8:
1. Write the systemic and trivial names of two saturated and unsaturated fatty acids.
2. What is iodine value?
3. What are the factors affecting the rate of autooxidation reaction?
4. What is an emulsion? How can we make such systems stable?
5. Describe the effect of antioxidants in foods. Name three synthetic antioxidants.
6. How do the amino acids join to each other to form into a long chain polypeptide? Show this reaciton using the chemical structures of three aminoacids.
7. What is denaturation? What are the factors resulting in denaturation?.
8. What is isoelectric point of proteins? Answer only 4 questions listed from 9 to 15:
9. Explain the function of amylase in breadmaking.
10. Explain the function of protease enzyme in food production.
11. Explain the application of commercial pectolytic enzymes in fruit and vegetable juices.
12. Explain the functions of oxidoreductases in food systems.
13. What are the functions of lipases in dairy products?
14. What is the action of glucose oxidase? Explain the importance of this enzyme in egg powder and meat products?
15. Which enzymes can be used as indicators of food quality? Give examples for each.