Characteristics of an acid:
1. It turns blue litmus paper to red
2. It tastes sour. Try drinking lemon juice (citric acid)
3. Corrode metals
4. Reacts with bases to form salts and water
Characteristics of a Base:
1. A bitter taste.
2. It feels slippery. (Soapy Water)
3. It turns red litmus to blue.
4. Reacts with acids to form salts and water
Arrhenius Theory: According to this theory an acid (HA) is a substance that breaks
into H+ ions in an aqueous solution.
A Base (MOH) is a substance that breaks into OH- ions in an aqueous solution.
Bronsted-Lowry Theory: It defines an acid as a proton donor, a base as a proton
acceptor and an acid-base reaction as a proton transfer reaction.