Etiket Arşivleri: Corn Syrup
Sources of fructose
Role of sweetness
Obesity and overweight rates
Caloric sweeteners in other countries
Future of HFCS?
Summary and conclusion
The role of complex root causes
YÜKSEK FRUKTOZLU MISIR ŞURUBU
Yüksek fruktozlu mısır şurubu (YFMŞ) mısır nişastasından enzimatik hidroliz ile üretilen, sakkaroza alternatif sıvı bir tatlandırıcıdır. YSMŞ sakarozdan daha ucuzdur ve bazı gıdalara arzu edilen özellikleri kazandırmaktadır. Bu nedenle de gazlı ve meyveli içecekler, çikolata, kek, şekerleme, reçel, marmelat ve jöle gibi birçok işlenmiş üründe yaygın bir şekilde kullanılmaktadır. 1970’den günümüze YFMŞ tüketimi önemli derecede artmıştır. Bazı üstün özelliklerine rağmen, son yıllarda, YFMŞ sağlık açısından sorgulanmaya başlanmış ve YFMŞ tüketiminin birçok hastalık üzerine etkisi araştırılmıştır. Özellikle, uzun süre YFMŞ bakımından zengin diyetle beslenme şişmanlık, kardiyovasküler hastalıklar ve diğer metabolik sendromların riskini artırabilmektedir.
High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a liquid alternative sweetener to sucrose that is made from corn starch by enzymatic isomerization. HFCS is cheaper than sucrose and provides desirable properties to certain foods so it is a widely used sweetener in commercial processed foods such as carbonated soft drinks, fruit drinks, chocolate, cake, confectionery, jam, marmalade, jelly-type foods. Consumption of HFCS has increased considerably from 1970 to present. Despite some outstanding features, in recent years, HFCS began to be
questioned in terms of health and investigated the effect of HFCS consumption on many diseases. Especially, long-term consumption of diets high in HFCS could lead to an increased risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and other metabolic syndromes.
• Corn syrup is the food product and natural sweetener which derived from corn starch
• It is the basic ingredients for many food products like cookies, crackers, catsups, ice cream, canned fruits , soup and may other purpose
• Corn syrup is rich with high fructose which is sweet as sugar mostly used in soft drinks.
Use of corn syrup as food product
• List of food that contains HFCS (high fructose corn syrup):
• Baking and cooking ingredients
• Breakfast Cereals
• Candy Bars
• Cookies and cakes
Product contains Corn syrup
• Cough Syrup
• Drink Mixers
• Baked Vegetables and fruits
• Ice cream
• Jam Syrup
• Salad dressing
• Huge number of maize exporter from india exporting corn for many industrial purposes.
• There are several verities of corn are available but the core part of corn syrup is made from yellow #2 dent corn
• Common variety grown in
Midwestern portion of US.
Other raw materials used in corn syrup
• Other raw materials used to convert corn into corn syrup
• Sulfur dioxide
• Hydrochloric acid
• Various enzymes and
• When syrup s combine with Karo light its contains 120 calories and nearly 30g of carbohydrate
• It contains various nutritional benefits like Sodium, Potassium ,Magnesium, Calcium, and Vitamins like
• Vitamin A
• Vitamin D
• Vitamin B- 6,12
The Manufacturing Process
• Corn syrup is produced by the process of wet corn mills
• In addition to the corn syrup ,the other materials are also produced along it, that includes
• Corn oil
• Corn starch
• Soap stock
• Animal feed etc.,
HFCS Process Description
Types of Corn Syrup
• The best –known commercial brand is Karo which manufactures
• Dark, Solid and
• Light corn syrups.
• The light variety contains light corn syrup with vanilla and medium amount of salt
• The dark variety of corn syrup contains caramel flavor, salt , sodium bezonate.