Food Safety in Malaysia ( Dr. Abdul Rahim bin Mohamad )
Malaysia’s Food Safety System “The Malaysia food safety system is characterized by its complexity and diversity; with different authority entrusted with the task of ensuring food safety at different stages of the food chain”
FOOD SUPPLY CHAIN
Supply of A gricultural Inputs e.g Fertilizers, pesticides,animal feeding stuffs, veterinary drugs
e.g. farmers, fisherman, fish farmers
Primary Food Processing
e.g on farm, dairi es, abbatoirs, grain mi ll s
Secondary Food Processing
e.g. canning, freezing, drying, brewing
Food Retailing/ Food C atering
e.g. r estaur ants, street foods, hospitals, schools su permarkets, shops
Food D istribution
e.g. nati onal/international, im port/export
MOH/ MOA/JAKI M
MOH/ MITI /MOD T/
Cus toms/Local Govt.
• The importation of food from foreign countries is overseen by the
– Ministry of Health( Food Inspectors at entry points)
– Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) for meat
– Fishery Department for life fish and fish
• Certification (Health Cert., Free Sale etc) for exported food including fish & fish products are issued by Ministry of Health( Food Safety & Quality) based on requirements by importing countries or by the exporters for the purpose of getting letter of credit (LC).
• Certification for live fish is by Fishery Department; meat by DVS and plants/vegetables by DOA respectively.
• In 2002, Malaysia food export amounted to about RM7.4 billion. (Euro 1.5billion)
EtiketlerFood safety Food Safety in Malaysia Malaysia