Establishing Empirical and Molecular Formulas ( Dr. Bülent BELİBAĞLI )
Establishing Empirical and Molecular Formulas 08.10.2013
Consider the following 5 step approach to determine formulas:
1. Choose an arbitrary sample size (100 g).
2. Convert masses of the elements in 100 g sample to amounts in moles.
3. Write a tentative formula based on the #s of moles just determined.
4. Divide each of the subscripts by the smallest one.
5. If all subscripts differ only slightly from whole #s, then, round them off. Otherwise multiply all subscripts by a small whole number to make the subscripts integral.
EtiketlerEstablishing Empirical and Molecular Formulas ( Dr. Bülent BELİBAĞLI ) tentative formula